Usability and UI enhancements
As we work to make Kentik Detect more powerful we’re also aware that features are most valuable to users when they’re easy and straightforward to use, as well as to customize for individual needs. The improvements in the next couple of sections are designed with that in mind.
Redesigned Dimension Selector
Working with dimensions for both group-by and filtering is an integral part of defining the queries used throughout Kentik Detect. We’ve taken a fresh look at how customers access and select dimensions, and made the following improvements in the dimension selectors for both group-by and filtering:
- Dimension categories – Dimensions are now organized into more intuitive categories, such as Network & Traffic Topology, IP & BGP Routing, and Cloud.
- Directional columns – Additionally, dimensions are now organized into Source, Destination, and Non-Directional columns to make them easier to locate. This also means that the Source and Destination versions of related dimensions are always located next to each other in the same row.
- New dimensions for clouds – The newly-added categories include provider-specific categories for AWS and GCP dimensions.
- Bi-directional filtering – In the dimension selector for Ad-Hoc Filter Groups, we’ve also added a Source or Destination column to simplify filtering on the same value in two related dimensions.
Custom Color Palettes
Kentik customers have always recognized UI design as one of our major differentiators. The ability to customize aspects of that design, tailoring it to individual needs and preferences, makes it even more powerful. Our latest step in this direction is the new Visualizations tab, which you’ll find on the My Profile page (access from the drop-down menu at far right in the main portal navbar).
As shown below, you can tune five different color settings that determine how visualizations are rendered:
- Theme – Toggle between the Standard Theme with a light background or the Dark Theme.
- Labels – Customize the color of labels by choosing from a popup color palette or entering a hex number.
- Overlays – Change the color of the Total and Historical overlays that are used on time-series visualizations.
- Quantitative – Choose a color theme for all chart types that display quantitative data such as Stacked Area Chart, 100% Stacked Area Chart, Stacked Column Chart, and Bar Chart.
- Qualitative – Choose a color theme for all chart types that show qualitative data such as Line Chart, Pie Chart, and Sunburst.
When changing the Quantitative and Qualitative color palettes, you can preview the effect on different view types by choosing a view type from the drop-down menu at upper right of the preview visualization. Once you save the changes, the new palette will be applied to all of your existing (and future) visualizations of that type (Quantitative or Qualitative) throughout the portal.
Finally, for Qualitative and Qualitative settings, you can create custom color palettes by turning on the Use custom values switch.
For more information, please contact the Kentik Customer Success team at email@example.com.