Data Explorer: Advanced Time Series query options
Kentik’s Data Explorer is enriched with additional query options which influence how time series will be visualized and calculated. These options are located in the Advanced section of the query panel as shown on the screenshot below
The Query execution performed against the Kentik Data Engine consist of the two steps:
- Initial flow aggregation into samples - Flow Aggregation which is performed on the configurable time Window. For all the query (filter) matching flow’s the summation of bytes or packets will be performed, grouped (broken down) by all selected Flow Dimension. The resulting flow aggregation samples will always represent an average Bit Rate (Packet Rate) across all the summed flows, because the sum of all bytes/packets is divided by the Flow Aggregation Window.
- Construction of the Time Series - From all the Flow Aggregation samples returned from the initial aggregation, the Time Series will be constructed for selected Top N series by volume. Time Series Buckets are constructed by aggregating multiple Flow Aggregation samples using the selected Aggregation function.
Additional Data Explorer Time Series query options consist of the following 3 options:
- Flow Aggregation Window: This configures the time window which is used for the initial Flow Aggregation into samples. Available options are 1, 5, 10, 20 minutes for Full Dataseries and 1, 6, 12 hours for Fast data series. If the Auto is selected, the behavior will be the same as the usual Data Explorer behavior so far. current Further limitations apply:
- 1 minute available for up to 3 day wide queries
- 5 minutes available for up to 14 day wide queries
- 10 minutes available for up to 30 day wide queries
- 20 minutes available for up to 60 day wide queries
- no limitation for the use of Fast dataseries.
- Time Series Bucket Width: Time Window used for the construction of the Time Series from Flow Aggregation Samples. The available options are 10 min, 20 min, 30 min, 1h, 6h, 12h, 1 day, 1 week.
- This configuration option only takes effect if the Time Series Bucket Aggregation is not "None",
- The value always has to be larger than the selected Flow Aggregation Window.
- The option “Auto” always maps to 1h buckets.
- Time Series Bucket Aggregation:This option defines the function which will be performed while aggregating multiple Flow Aggregation Samples into Time Series Buckets. The available options are:
- None - does not perform any aggregation to the Time Series Buckets, so only Flow Aggregation Samples are shown
- Average - Calculates the average value of the Flow Aggregation samples in each Time Series Bucket
- Count - Counts number of Flow Aggregation sample occurrences within the Time Series Bucket
- Sum - Calculates the sum of all the Flow Aggregation samples in each Time Series Bucket
- Maximum - Selects the Maximum value of the Flow Aggregation samples in each Time Series Bucket
- Minimum - Selects the Minimum value of the Flow Aggregation samples in each Time Series Bucket